Lead Paint Inspection
Inspections and assessments
for lead paint
Heartland Home Inspections offers Lead Paint Inspections/Assessments and Water Testing. We are fully licensed through the NJ Department of Health and the Department of Consumer Affairs.
We can provide the comprehensive lead paint assessment and Lead Safe certification needed for NJ Residential rental properties.
- Rental properties subject to the new law must be inspected upon tenant turnover or within two years if there is no tenant turnover (no later than July 22, 2024)
- The type of inspection will depend on the lead levels in children in the municipality where a rental is located.
- See questions 6, 7 and 8 on the DCA Q&A website by clicking here.
- Single-Family Residential Rental Homes Built Before 1978
- Two-Family Residential Rental Homes Built Before 1978
- The New Jersey Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Q&A on the new law
- Lead-Based Paint in Rental Dwellings Comprehensive Guide
- DCA List of Lead Abatement Contractors
- State Funding Programs for Lead Paint Remediation and Abatement
- Property owner requirements
- Types of Inspection Required by Municipality
- Proposed Lead Paint Rules (These are drafts and will receive comments before being promulgated.)
– R. London | Google Review
The dangers of
lead paint in homes
Prior to the 1950s, lead was used in paint to achieve certain pigments, as well as improve drying times, durability, and moisture resistance. Lead-based paint was used for both home interiors and exteriors, and it became commonplace in the early 20th century, as production shifted to larger commercial scales. Exposure in older homes happens when lead-based paint starts to deteriorate, cracking or peeling away from the walls. When paint is intact, meaning not flaking or breaking apart, exposure risk is low for inhabitants, even children.
Deterioration of lead-based paint results in lead-contaminated dust, which may be directly ingested or inhaled, and paint chips, which may be touched or, less commonly, ingested. Exposure through direct ingestion of contaminated dust, paint chips, or even soil around a house is especially a concern for young children, who often put their hands and other objects in their mouth. Living in a house with lead-based paint can result in a chronic accumulation of heavy metal in the body.